Home > Forum > VOLVO TRUCK ENGINE

VOLVO TRUCK ENGINE

Jan 12, 2017 at 09:18 AM CST
I would like to know if anyone here has any experience with the VOLVO engines? (ie. VED12, etc.) I see really good deals on Volvo trucks that have the Volvo engines and I was just wondering if they were reliable and in general are the Volvo trucks reliable? What years are the best? Etc. Personally, I would opt for the Cummins but they are a little more than the same truck with the Volvo engine.. Just wondering. I think I remember reading that Volvo trucks had wiring issues..
Replied on Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 05:01 PM CST
Really recommend against Volvo motor. For one thing even if that Cummins power cost a little more upfront it'll pay off. Like Lamborghini vs Chevy. Every parts dealer and mechanic can help with the Chevy, how many can help with Lamborghini?. There are things I don't like about the Volvo like having to take time to remove inner fenders and a lot of crap just to get at simple things but a lot of them are that way. Good luck

Art Pfluger
Replied on Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 06:09 PM CST
+ 1
I drive a 2012 Volvo D13 and have had great luck with it. Have owned it for a year now.

Sorry to all you non-Volvo loving people.
Replied on Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 08:37 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
I have two of these machines, with the D12 and another with the N-14. They all have 1M plus miles on them and have never been overhauled.

Replaced the first injector on the D12 last year at 1.3 M. I kinda wished I had just done all six at the same time. Then I would not have had to worry about the engine until about 2M.

I have an injector acting up on the D12 that I am driving now and will be doing on six. It currently has almost 1.2M.

I have modified my machines, so they are running 501 HP and 535 HP at 1950 torque and 2050 torque.

When they are running with good injectors I was averaging between 7-8 mpg with them.

My N-14's both have 1.5 M on them, I have replaced the injectors multiple times on those machines (both the Volvo and the Peterbilt).

I use the D12 as boner trucks to teach others how to be owner operators. They are very hard to tear up. If I was to give a boner a Kitty I would be repairing it all the time, trust me I know about this. Tried the Series 60's as well, and those were great engines for boners to run as well.

The Kitty and Cummins need a real driver to manage them. The Volvo and Detroit are more set up for boners to drive. (Not calling myself a boner here, LOL. I just prefer to not see the shop unless I have to).

Art is right that you will almost have to buy the parts at a Volvo dealer exclusively, but I have found that I don't have to buy as many parts as often as I did on the other machines that I have owned. I would rather pay a little bit more for parts every once in a great while, down time is what kills all of us little guys more than the price of the parts and labor.

The D12 actually is quite easy to work on. I have pulled the injectors myself and replaced the cups and o-rings. The overhead cam is the hardest part and injector six is sometimes a major pain in the ass to get out. If you are serious about getting one then give me a call. I will tell you all the tricks I have learned about them down through the years.

The only wiring issue I have ever had in all the miles we have ran is the tail lights. I just got rid of the factory ones and added some nice chrome mud flap lights and problem was solved.

They pull like a Kitty but will not out run one. Sorry all you Volvo owners but I will not lie.
Replied on Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 08:41 PM CST
Quote: "I drive a 2012 Volvo D13 and have had great luck with it. Have owned it for a year now. Sorry to all you non-Volvo loving people."

I am buying one in March with the I-shift. My old knee is barking at me more and more.

My friends run team and have put 1.2M on their D13 and have only spent around $15,000 on extra maintenance. That is good enough for me, I was waiting to see them get the injector problem fixed on the D13. They are going to a similar fuel rail system like the new DD15.

Have you had any problems with your injectors on that D13?
Replied on Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 08:52 PM CST
Quote: "Really recommend against Volvo motor. For one thing even if that Cummins power cost a little more upfront it'll pay off. Like Lamborghini vs Chevy. Every parts dealer and mechanic can help with the Chevy, how many can help with Lamborghini?. There are things I don't like about the Volvo like having to take time to remove inner fenders and a lot of crap just to get at simple things but a lot of them are that way. Good luck Art Pfluger"

Art, I got a guy leasing onto me that has a C13 Cat. He has 1.2M on it and has never had it overhauled. He was asking me if I thought it needed one, I told him I would ask you.

He is hauling step deck and here is the following:

He is still not using any oil between changes: 12,000 miles
He says it still pulls as good as it ever did
He is getting about 6.2 on the average MPG.

I really don't think he has anything to worry about, but I will listen to the engine on Saturday and see if I hear any thing rattling in the lower end. I told him to have an oil analysis done on his next service and we would be able to tell a litte bit more from that information.

What is your suggestion?
Replied on Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 08:07 AM CST
Warranty not good. We got a Volvo 13L 2800 miles on it and it had to be towed. Regens all the time. Just took it to dealer with 29000 mi for the Regen problem. Cost 573 dollars warranty didn't cover it.
Replied on Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 08:17 AM CST
I've got the d12 in a 2005, the egr valves go out on them and its about 1500 to have one replaced and there is two of them. They don't pull anywhere near as good as a cat motor. i had mine overhauled at 840000, cost 20000.00 not including the injectors. I've had electrical problems with mine and still haven't worked them all out. Yes the trucks are cheaper to buy but you'll pay for it in the shop and they have low resale value. I'm not saying there junk but it'll be the first and last volvo I own. If you can afford something else i'd strongly consider it over the volvo.
Replied on Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 11:53 AM CST
Quote: "I've got the d12 in a 2005, the egr valves go out on them and its about 1500 to have one replaced and there is two of them. They don't pull anywhere near as good as a cat motor. i had mine overhauled at 840000, cost 20000.00 not including the injectors. I've had electrical problems with mine and still haven't worked them all out. Yes the trucks are cheaper to buy but you'll pay for it in the shop and they have low resale value. I'm not saying there junk but it'll be the first and last volvo I own. If you can afford something else i'd strongly consider it over the volvo."

Get rid of certain things and the problems seem to go away. That holds true with all these machines built from about 2004 on up. I am with you, I got tired of replacing those certain things looked them over and removed the problem and have not had any more problems.

All engines have pros and cons. It is like Art said, if you want a steady support chain that does not neccessarily involve a dealer. Cummins is about the only way to go now. You can always get a Series 60 or a Cat in another machine. Whatever you get you better learn the basics about mechanics or have a lot of money to spend at a shop.

I am amazed that I can take any of the machines and keep them running fairly well. Put a boner in the truck and all of the sudden it seems to break down all the time. Stupid shit really!
Replied on Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 02:39 PM CST
Many like to give advice on something they have never owned or operated. Thankfully many listen and keep their operating cost way above that of others. Lol
My own experience regardless of emissions is, there's nothing out there to give you a better return every which way than a 2012 or newer Volvo with D13 rated at 500hp (non eco torque) and iShift. That setup will outperform more economically than anything else by a long shot.
I have one and in which I bought new and will turn five years old in September, it has been the best truck I've ever owned and operated.
I would stay away from anything including Volvo between the years of 2007 to 2011. I would also stay away from the Volvo D16 regardless of year. I bought one new in 2002 and it almost broke me. I'm sure there's a sporadic lemon with every manufacturer but I have very rarely met a happy D16 owner and rarely met an unhappy D13 owner. I've had my fair share of D12, D10 and D7 engines also. Excellent motors but as stated above, a little underpowered.
It doesn't really matter what engine you buy if pre emissions, they are almost all good (other than Volvo D16), it's only a matter of wear and mileage.
In 2011 when I started to build my VNL on paper, there wasn't much of a track record with SCR so needless to say I did warranty everything possible on the truck for 5 years 400k miles just in case but at this point it seems like I wasted the money on an expensive warranty to which I haven't really needed except for a couple of trivial things.
I am fond of pre emissions Cummins but they severely lost the reliability factor since then. In fact Cummins are scraping their entire heavy engine lineup this year to launch their new lineup. Good luck pulling in to any Joe Blow for repairs with it.
From June/July this year, Volvo will be making some changes to their truck models and common rail fuel system in a goal to get above 10mpg in general freight applications. There are some really nice new goodies coming to other parts of the truck too.
I started the build order on a new truck this week but the dealer doesn't have all the relevant info for the new stuff in their system yet. Maybe next month or March.
If your planning on buying a new truck, I'd wait a little longer to see what's on offer as many truck/engine manufacturers will be changing or revolutionizing 2017/2018 models.
I for one will not be separated from a D13 and iShift with a crowbar! Lol.
Replied on Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 06:24 PM CST
Quote: "Get rid of certain things and the problems seem to go away. That holds true with all these machines built from about 2004 on up. I am with you, I got tired of replacing those certain things looked them over and removed the problem and have not had any more problems. All engines have pros and cons. It is like Art said, if you want a steady support chain that does not neccessarily involve a dealer. Cummins is about the only way to go now. You can always get a Series 60 or a Cat in another machine. Whatever you get you better learn the basics about mechanics or have a lot of money to spend at a shop. I am amazed that I can take any of the machines and keep them running fairly well. Put a boner in the truck and all of the sudden it seems to break down all the time. Stupid shit really!"

I have owned and or driven most all makes of trucks and all of them have certain flaughs. I have found IH AND PETE about the easiest to work on thoough but all them can break, but my questiion would be WHO IS THE STUPID ONE! THE BONER! OR THE BUSINESS OWNER THAT HIRES THE BONER!

Replied on Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 07:07 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Quote: " I have owned and or driven most all makes of trucks and all of them have certain flaughs. I have found IH AND PETE about the easiest to work on thoough but all them can break, but my questiion would be WHO IS THE STUPID ONE! THE BONER! OR THE BUSINESS OWNER THAT HIRES THE BONER! "

Chris, I will admit to being the stupid one. How is that one for you. I have gained much experience over the past six years with my trucking company. I have grown by learning that all are boners from time to time to include myself.

I have hired many people down through the years in various positions in various companies that I have either managed or owned. There are bones in all industries, there are those that no matter how much you would like them to excel that they believe they are owed something for doing nothing. Beings that seems to be the majority of the attitude now a days, that means that there are more boners than not.

You could have high intelligence but still make stupid decisions such as hiring people that look good on paper but really suck at the job.

If the Mega's have to run through about 105 drivers to find one keeper. i have went through 32 to find one, think I am actually doing better sifting through the boners to find the owners.
Replied on Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 07:26 PM CST
+ 3
Alfred tell the cat owner if it ain't broke don't mess with it

Art Pfluger
Replied on Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 07:40 PM CST
Quote: "Chris, I will admit to being the stupid one. How is that one for you. I have gained much experience over the past six years with my trucking company. I have grown by learning that all are boners from time to time to include myself. I have hired many people down through the years in various positions in various companies that I have either managed or owned. There are bones in all industries, there are those that no matter how much you would like them to excel that they believe they are owed something for doing nothing. Beings that seems to be the majority of the attitude now a days, that means that there are more boners than not. You could have high intelligence but still make stupid decisions such as hiring people that look good on paper but really suck at the job. If the Mega's have to run through about 105 drivers to find one keeper. i have went through 32 to find one, think I am actually doing better sifting through the boners to find the owners."

I WAS NOT TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT ALFRED. I KNOW YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON AND OUR FAMILY COMPANY THAT MY FATHER STARTED MANY YEARS AGO HAS HAD ITS SHARE OF BONERS, IDIOTS, OR WHAT EVER NAME YOU WISH TO CALL THEM ALSO. I WILL MAKE IT CLEAR THOUGH THAT I GREW UP PROBABLY WITH MORE OF A BREAK BEING THAT I GREW UP IN THE BUSINESS AND MOST OF THE LEARNING CAME EASY BECAUSE I WAS ALWAYS AROUND MY DAD AND WAS TAUGHT BY HIM AND SOME OTHER REALLY GOOD OLDER MENTORS. I JUST GET A LITTLE ANGRY WHEN CERTAIN SHIPPERS OR RECEIVERS CAN'T SEE THROUGH OBVIOUS EXPERIENCE TO WEED OUT GOOD AND BAD PEOPLE AND WILL JUST SELL YOU OUT FOR CHEAP! I ALSO GET REAL UPSET WHEN DRIVERS DON'T ACT PROFESSIONAL WHEN AT TRUCKSTOPS OR AT SHIPPING YARDS OR CUSTOMERS AND THEN WE ALL WONDER WHY THE PUBLIC TREATS THIS INDUSRY LIKE CRAP! I GUESS I WAS JUST BLOWING OFF A LITTLE STEAM . NOTHING PERSONAL WITH YOU OR YOUR COMPANY ALFRED.
Replied on Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 08:19 PM CST
Quote: "Alfred tell the cat owner if it ain't broke don't mess with it Art Pfluger"

Thanks, Art that is basically what I was saying as well. But I wanted to hear it from you to know for sure.
Replied on Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 08:22 PM CST
Quote: "I WAS NOT TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT ALFRED. I KNOW YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON AND OUR FAMILY COMPANY THAT MY FATHER STARTED MANY YEARS AGO HAS HAD ITS SHARE OF BONERS, IDIOTS, OR WHAT EVER NAME YOU WISH TO CALL THEM ALSO. I WILL MAKE IT CLEAR THOUGH THAT I GREW UP PROBABLY WITH MORE OF A BREAK BEING THAT I GREW UP IN THE BUSINESS AND MOST OF THE LEARNING CAME EASY BECAUSE I WAS ALWAYS AROUND MY DAD AND WAS TAUGHT BY HIM AND SOME OTHER REALLY GOOD OLDER MENTORS. I JUST GET A LITTLE ANGRY WHEN CERTAIN SHIPPERS OR RECEIVERS CAN'T SEE THROUGH OBVIOUS EXPERIENCE TO WEED OUT GOOD AND BAD PEOPLE AND WILL JUST SELL YOU OUT FOR CHEAP! I ALSO GET REAL UPSET WHEN DRIVERS DON'T ACT PROFESSIONAL WHEN AT TRUCKSTOPS OR AT SHIPPING YARDS OR CUSTOMERS AND THEN WE ALL WONDER WHY THE PUBLIC TREATS THIS INDUSRY LIKE CRAP! I GUESS I WAS JUST BLOWING OFF A LITTLE STEAM . NOTHING PERSONAL WITH YOU OR YOUR COMPANY ALFRED. "

I was not taking it as such Chris, I was agreeing with you as well. You know how I am I have to make long winded while I am at it. LOL